Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rules of an Italian Kitchen

I never follow a recipe more than once.  Obviously you have to try other people's methods before you venture on your own, it saves time and ingredients.  But I can say that I've possibly never followed a recipe to the exact measurements and the second time around, I change it up to add my own spice and flair but I do follow a few simple rules.

Like said, cooking is also an art and the cook the artist. The painter looks at color, the sculptor feels the texture but the cook envisions, feels, tastes and smells their creation. No art is ever appreciated as much or the same as a simple, full bodied, aromatic hot dish. Professionally, the cook is the most successful artist; one that I suppose you can say will never be a starving artist.  I'm not a trained cook by any means, but my experience is very extensive and I’m professionally home trained from when I was very little when my grandmother and I would spend hours in her kitchen.  Before my time she owned a restaurant in a quiet Italian countryside village and she was passed down concepts and ideas that in turn she passed down to me.

Without breaking the confidentiality of generations of passed down secrets I would like to share the basic concepts of great Italian cooking, I guess you can call them rules we live by.

The first rule of great Italian cooking is clean fresh water.  Use filtered water any time it is called in a recipe, even if you will end up dumping it out when you make pasta. Dirty tap water can adulterate the taste and add bitterness to your meals.  There is a reason why New York City and Italy are famous for their food. Their tap water is amazing and does not need any filtering, but most of us are not so lucky.  So, splurge for a water filter for your kitchen tap like one from http://www.purwater.com/ or simply use your refrigerator water dispenser, you will immediately taste the difference.

Food freshness. As we Italians say, it's not the quantity of the ingredients but the quality.  Great Italian cooking is the art of taking great ingredients and combining them together.  You might think you would save money by buying in bulk, but in reality it creates waste or if you stick to the frozen section, you are stuck with freezer burns and a bland taste.  To succeed in this category you will require some planning, each week plan out your meals and purchase fresh meats and vegetables that are multifunctional and that can create a variety of dishes my mixing up the combination.

Moderation and variety.  Carbs are energy, meat is for iron, dairy is for calcium, vegetables and fruits are for your vitamins and so on. Everything has a purpose, chocolate is an antioxidant and red wine is good for your heart, so some say and I’m sticking to it.  A well rounded diet will keep you satisfied because your body is getting the nutrients it needs. This is how Italians are able to keep their portions small. Because you will be using fresh ingredients, there will be no need to lather on the butter or load up on salt. A usual Italian meal consists of a first couse usually a soup or pasta, fist sized, a second consisting of a meat and a vegetable also a small portion and a third of crackers, salami and cheese, a couple of pieces each not anything more.  Once a week, usually during Sunday lunch when the family gets together, a homemade dessert.

Always have a few key ingredients in your kitchen. Onions are the princess of the kitchen: "La Principessa Della Cucina", I will get into my love for onions later since about 90% of every recipe begins with onions. I prefer the large sweet yellow onions, they sauté slowly without much risk of burning and add a soft aroma and deepness to all my meals. You though it was garlic that Italians loved? I rarely use it. Parmeggiano Reggiano, the cheese with a bite.  This is mostly found in specialty fresh markets, the triangle of cheese that you can grate. It will last you a long time in the fridge which will compensate for the price.  To store wrap it in tin foil and a simple use would be to grate it over a simple plate of pasta and homemade tomato sauce and yummm! It also makes for the best risotto. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - the really thick kind, check it by titling the bottle and seeing how fast it moves side to side, now try another kind.  Buy the bottle that takes the longest to move, this will have the most flavor and in turn you will need to use less while cooking.  The last ingredient is to grow your own fresh herb garden by designating a portion of your yard.  The basics are rosemary, thyme and basil.  If you don't have a yard, small plants can be sustained in a kitchen or a windowsill.  Spices are expensive to purchase and they do not compare to the taste of fresh seasoning.  Save your money for the more exotic blends and don’t forget to water frequently.

 The last rule and the most important rule is love.  Love of food and love of the people you cook for.  No kitchen should lack passion and care.  Tend to your cooking, smell your ingredients, taste your creations and don't be afraid to experiment.  Buon Apetito!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds D-lish! I'm excited to hear about your cooking and agree with you completely on the filtered water and fresh ingredients! Getting ready to plant my herbs tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm also getting ready to plant my new herb garden. On monday I will post a stuffed pepper recipe and I will document my gardening process with pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message:)